Challenge: Spend nothing this weekend.
Challenge accepted. As the summer is wrapping up, I am reevaluating my expenses after a summer of fun. I found that most of my money is spent on the weekends, my highest expense is eating out, and I am not frugal when I travel. So after making myself sick from seeing how much money I have spent recently, I decided to do a spending cleanse.
The plan was to keep myself busy without spending money on food, drinks or activities over a three day period.
A normal weekend consists of a Friday night movie and dinner date, Saturday includes blogging at a coffee shop or the gym, grabbing a sandwich or tacos for lunch, and the pool before cleaning up for a night out. And Sunday consists of brunch and a quick bite to eat for dinner. All in all, I spend well over a $100 a weekend.
This weekend I spent nothing. I decided I would try and keep myself busy without getting my wallet out. I had a few flashbacks of me when I was younger complaining to my mom that I was bored. She would then give me a list of things I could do to keep myself entertained. So like the olden days when I didn't have any money to spend...
...Here are 40 things to do instead of spending money!
1. Cook a new recipe for dinner with leftovers for your boyfriend or friend.
2. Make-up your own cocktail.
3. Spend time by the pool.
4. Read a book or magazine.
5. Surf your favorite blogs.
6. Have a movie night on your couch.
7. Make a picnic and take it to the park.
8. Organize your closet.
9. Go sightseeing.
10. Go to a museum.
11. Go for a bike ride.
12. Paint or sketch something.
13. Give yourself a manicure or pedicure.
14. Go hiking.
15. Take a nap (personal favorite).
16. Do a YouTube workout video, practice pilates or yoga.
17. Volunteer for a local organization.
18. Visit with family and friends.
19. Start a DIY project.
20. Have friends over for a BYOB party.
22. See a free concert.
23. Have a game night.
24. Throw a potluck dinner.
25. Go fishing.
26. Play tennis.
27. Go for a drive.
28. Go to the beach.
29. Make an inspiration board with photos and magazines.
30. Video chat with a friend.
31. Go to a free show.
32. Call a distant relative (call your grandma, she'd love it!).
33. Clean out your home and donate unwanted items.
34. Listen to a podcast.
35. Be your own barista and create new coffee drink.
36. Make brunch at home on Sunday (don't forget mimosas!).
37. Have a bonfire.
38. Write a letter.
39. Start a website.
40. Be okay with just relaxing. Sit on your couch.
Any other ideas? Share in the comments below.
Always, Maddi B.